Pages

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A Story from The Street

For me, this story is a great experience in my life. Because, I thought it would just happened in a story in my civics subject (you know, a subject that study about the law, Pancasila –as I live in Indonesia, so study that subject-) at school. But, I realized that it was happened to me. Actually this story happened on Sunday, May 10, 2009. But, I had no time to post it on that day.

Well then, on that day, I had test, an AFS test (a student exchange program). I got up early because the organizers said that the participants should be in their test rooms half an hour before the test start. OK, the test started at 8AM, so I had to be in my test room at 7.30AM.

As I arrived at the test place, STBA LIA Pengadegan, I was so surprised that there were sooo many participants! There were 1025 participants! Well, I supposed to not to be surprised, because hellooo?? It was an AFS test! Who didn’t want to study abroad? Ha!

Okay, okay, actually this main story is not about my AFS test but it’s about someone that I met after I had my test. That ‘someone’ was not my crush or even my ex-boyfriend, but that ‘someone’ was someone that I’ve never met before.

Let’s move to the front of this story. After I had my test, I went home by myself. My father didn’t pick me up because I thought he’s tired, so I didn’t want to make him more tired. I went home by public transportation called angkot. About 10 minutes, I arrived at TPU Kalibata shelter. At that shelter, I waited for Bus 62 (it would take me to the street in front of my house). I’ve been waiting for quite a long time there, but still there was no Bus 62. It was not like usual. Usually, there were so many Bus 62 which went through on that street. Then, an angkot stopped in front of the shelter and that time, I met someone that I’ve never met before, a decrepit old lady.

That old lady was looking at me (as I know, there’s no one else in that shelter) and giving her hand to me. At first, I didn’t catch what she meant, I thought she was begging me for money, but then I realized that she was asking for my help. She wanted me to help her up to the shelter and of course, I helped her. It was the first time, I touched someone’s hand before knowing their names or personalities. Her hand was so…. You know how it feels when you touch your grandma or grandpa skin? Yeah, it feels so dented.

Then, I helped that old lady to sit near me. When we were sitting together, she asked some questions to me. Like this questions below.

Old lady : “I will go home by bus 606, dear..”
Me : “Okay, ma’am”
Old lady : “Where do you want to go?”
Me : “I’m going to Pasar Minggu by bus 62”

And the conversation ended. I couldn’t leave her alone at the shelter, so I decided to go home after the old lady got into the bus.

It’s been about 15 minutes, but the bus didn’t turn up. Maybe the old lady had decided to get on the other bus, because when she saw the bus 62 coming, she shouted to me to get into that bus. Okay, then we were both in the bus 62. I sit near the driver beside a young man, but the old lady sit at the back. We were separated, at last.

After 10 minutes in the bus, a young man who sit beside me, get off from the bus, so I was alone. But then, the old lady came to me and sit right beside me. I was so surprised, that she still remembered me and … well, I don’t know what else I can say ha. Nah, for the second conversation, I started ask her about some personal questions.

Me : “What’s your name, Ma’am?”
Old lady : “My name? My name is Ijah”
Me : “Do you live by yourself?”
Old lady : “No, dear.. I live with my grandchildren”
Me : “Ohh…. Are your grandchildren still in a young age?”
Old lady : “Yes, dear..”
Me : “Where are your children? Why don’t you go out with your children?”
Old lady : “My children are working, dear.. I have 1 son and 3 daughters”
Me : “Where will you get off?”
Old lady : “At the Railway Station, the Robinson..”

Aaand the conversation ended. I thought it was enough to make her comfortable to sit near me. Hehehe. After I had a little conversation with Madam Ijah (Nek Ijah-Indonesian version), everybody started to stare at me. Maybe, they thought she was my grandma or what else? Oh I don’t know, just think what you want, ha! Well, after the conversation ended, I took a photo of Madam Ijah. Here’s the photo.



Maybe, the photo didn’t show you what actually she looked like. But let me explain it. On that day, she was in batik clothing with batik sarong and she also wore a blue veil. Like an usual old lady, she had wrinkles on her face.

After I took a photo of her, I realized that the bus had arrived at Railway Station. When the bus stopped, Madam Ijah immediately got off from the bus and walked away. Well, I got off there too,because I should take another bus 62 that would take me to the street in front of my house. I saw Madam Ijah getting into bus 606. I was so glad, she was finally in bus 606. I just passed her bus and got into another bus 62 and went directly to home without saying goodbye to her.

Well, that’s all my story. I think it was a great experience that happened in my life. I hope you, all the readers, and also me can help more people in this complicated life.

No comments:

Post a Comment