Pages

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Digital Fortress Secret Code

Umm... I think this book is sooo oldie.. you know, it was published in 1998.. but, I read last year (hehehe) because, I was told by my teacher that this novel -Digital Fortress- was one of Dan Brown's great novel! A thrilling novel! And she told me last year. So, after being told by my teacher, I immediately read this novel and I was really satisfied :)

The novel is about a cryptographer (codes and cryptograms -maths and computer science- analyser), named Susan Fletcher. Well, actually in this post I don't want to talk about the story, but I want to talk about something special in this novel.

Ok. About 4 days ago, my younger sister has finished read this novel. And she told me that she was confused by the code that was given by Dan Brown at the end of the page. I was so surprised! I didn't know about any code at the end of the page! Well, maybe I thought it was the International Standard Book Number (ISBN) hehehe

Well, after my sister told me about the code, we were so excited about this thing. We were decided to solve the code and found the meanings. Here's the code:

128-10-93-85-10-128-98-112-6-6-25-126-39-1-68-78

At first, we were so confused about this thing, but we tried so hard by following the methods like Susan Fletcher did in the novel. However, we couldn't get what these code meant! Because I was so impatient, I searched it in google aaand... I found the First Key!

FYI: I was just peeking, okay?! I didn't read all the informations. As I found in google, these numbers were Digital Fortress' Chapter and all I had to do was take the first letter from each chapter. I also read in google that this code was for English version only and I was really annoyed because I bought the Indonesian version, not the English version. So, I scrolled down the page (I didn't see all the page, ok?!) and I found these:

W E C G E W H Y A A I O R T N U

These letters were the first letter from every chapter. The first thought when I saw these letters was The Caesar's Box (it was mentioned in the book when Susan Fletcher solved the last code). To make it sure it was The Caesar's Box, I counted the letters and it was all true! There were 16 letters! So, I immediately made a square (like in the novel) with those letters, 4 rows and 4 columns, like this:

W E C G

E W H Y

A A I O

R T N U

Then, like Ms. Fletcher did, all I had to do was read these letters from the left top letter (W) to downward. Then, I revealed the secret code! The code is:

WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Frankly, I was so excited that I revealed the code!! Dan Brown is a genius! That's why I really admire his novels! :D

13 comments:

  1. Wow... that's really awesome. It's so smart but when you think about it, it's simple. The first step is the hardest. After that it get's easy. But the meaning is freaking me out.... Sounds stalkerish. :)
    Anyways thanks for the help!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the hint on the chap numbers..

    ReplyDelete
  3. so thats what it means! i just finished reading the book and notied the code at the end. Said to my usband i want to know what it means but couldnt be bothered breaking it. He's and it genius and suggested search online. someone must have broken it already!

    thanks mate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOlz
    is so cool i read the novel in arabic so it impossible to me to know it, i think like that first but in arabic i ddnt found anything

    i appreciate it thnx alooot :))))))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks....kind of makes me feel that the NSA is really snooping on us...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PO SI ARRITET TA ZGHIDHNIT KUR TE TJERET E KAN ZGJIDHUR PARA NJE SHEKULLI PO PER NE QE E KEMI TE PERKTHUER NE GJUHE TJETER NUK FUNKSIONON KJO ME TODE DHE DY NUMRA NUK I KEMI TE SHFAQUR.PRA PER NE KJO MUNDESI ESHTE E HEQUR DHE KJO JU BEN JUVE TE ZGJUAR.SEPSE NA PRIVON NGA E DREJTA.CIAO

    ReplyDelete
  7. In Serbian translation is similar, but not the same way as on English:
    First letters from chapters - YES
    You just collect them and you get
    sentence: AMIVASPOSMATRAMO
    with spaces: A MI VAS POSMATRAMO
    which is actually translated as:
    AND we are watching you
    So, one word extra (AND), thanks to translator.

    Excellent book. Nice puzzle at the end, but Google solved it with link to this page
    :)

    SeeMeON

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeahh, that's true! sounds very stalkerish =,="
    Hmm.. i dunno if it works on others language version or not. What I know is it also worked on Russian version too~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I read the book today...
    Before reading the book I had seen that code at the last page..but I assumed it would be related to story...
    But after finishing the book..i had no clue what the code was for....
    i was sure it would be solved by caesar's box..but i didn't know what i was supposed to do with the numbers
    thanks for helping
    and yeah...Dan brown is one of my favorite author...read all his 5 books..just love them

    ReplyDelete
  10. you great mate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks, snonymous! :) glad to help ya~

    ReplyDelete
  12. dudeee srsly thats what i told but when i got the first 5 letters i got "weare" and there is not such a word or word starting with those letters so i gave up :( omg i was so close :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. It does not work with the danish translation of the book 🤷🏻‍♂️

    ReplyDelete